My staples that I keep running to are L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof Mascara (Carbon Black) and Maybelline's Volum' Express The Colossal Waterproof Mascara (Glam Black). I absolutely love them! My lashes have some length, but based on those two mascara's, volume is what I want and both of these mascara's deliver. Every so often I would try something new, but always end up going back to my holy grails. I've recently tried Maybelline's Volum' Express The Falsies (Black Drama) and it really didn't make my lashes look "false", I always end up putting the Colossal on top. I have also tried Maybelline's Lash Stiletto, doesn't do much for me either, though because of it's almost pointed brush, you can get those lashes at the inner and outer corners. I use brown/black colors for during the day at work (if I decide to even put makeup on), and the blackest black for night. Another great mascara that always makes the beauty top lists every single year is Maybelline's Great Lash.
When I want some colored lashes, the two I love are Sephora Collection and mark. cosmetics. I don't put the color throughout, I apply my regular black mascara, then the color at the tips, it looks fab. That technique stands out if you have a dark eye going on, smokey for example. If you want to put the color throughout your whole lash, do a neutral color on your lids. Unless it's for a Carnival presentation or you just like color (like me) because in those cases, anything goes! I have a Sephora green color (which I don't see on their website) and mark. Scanda-Lash Hook-Up Mascara (in Indiglow and Winegloss).
Some mascara tips:
- Wiggle the wand while applying, it ensures all your lashes get coated.
- Put a q-tip across the upper lash line to prevent mascara from ending up on your eyelid and eye-shadow. It also helps if you want to curl your lashes a bit if with each swipe you press and curve your lashes against the q-tip.
- To get the outer corners, pull the outside of your eye delicately and hold the mascara wand straight up and swipe upwards.
- If you wear contacts or cry a lot (wedding!), wear waterproof.
- To remove waterproof mascara, look for a waterproof eye-makeup remover otherwise you will spend too much time trying to scrub the mascara off your delicate eyelids and lashes.